JOHN GALLIANO HAS BEEN FIRED FROM DIOR. HOUSE OF DIOR WILL NEVER BE THE SAME.


Christian Dior announced minutes ago that John Galliano has been fired from the company, effective immediately. Sidney Toledano, Dior’s president and CEO, stated: “I condemn most firmly the statements made by John Galliano which are a total contradiction with the essential values that have always been defended by the House of Christian Dior.” As of now, Dior intends to proceed with its runway show in Paris this Friday.

Galliano’s dismissal follows Monday’s release of an incriminating video of the designer slurring his way through a racist rant, which included the damning statement “I love Hitler,” in a Paris café. When Galliano was first hit with complaints of verbal assault last Friday, members of the fashion community initially stayed silent on the matter, following Dior’s example of waiting for the police to investigate the situation before drawing conclusions. However, the video resulted in such widespread disgust yesterday that several people began to choose sides.

First, Vogue Italia’s Franca Sozzani blogged that the video looked like a setup; later, Giorgio Armani spoke to the Telegraph on the matter:

 

Speaking through a translator, the Italian fashion designer said he was sorry that John Galliano had been video taped without his knowledge and added that it was obviously a difficult time for him.

 

Christian Dior Parfums face Natalie Portman, on the other hand, released a more condemning announcement about the situation last night:

 

I am deeply shocked and disgusted by the video of John Galliano’s comments that surfaced today… In light of this video, and as an individual who is proud to be Jewish, I will not be associated with Mr. Galliano in any way. I hope at the very least, these terrible comments remind us to reflect and act upon combating these still-existing prejudices that are the opposite of all that is beautiful.

 

Following a meeting between Galliano and the three plaintiffs at a Paris police station yesterday, a spokeswoman from the Paris prosecutor’s office said that the police inquiry would likely continue through the end of the week. After that, the matter would be passed on to the prosecutor’s office, where it would be decided if the accusations against Galliano are worthy of charges being filed. “I’m not sure what will be decided … If it ever does go to court, it could take weeks, maybe even months,” she said.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: